01442 877007

“Cornish Lighthouse” Oil Signed By Hugh E Ridge

£245


This item is only available in our store

Description

Original Oil on Canvas

“Cornish Lighthouse”

Signed Hugh E Ridge RSMA (1899-1976)

C. Early 1970s

Hugh E. Ridge captures the beautiful light and the heavy seas of an offshore Cornish lighthouse that we believe to be Longships. Hugh was a 20th century marine and landscape painter. Hugh Ridge was born in Barnstaple, but moved to St Ives around the late 1940s. He first exhibited on Show Day in St Ives in 1949 and had a one-man show at Downing’s Bookshop that September. He was soon very involved with St Ives Society of Artists (STISA), taking over from George Bradshaw as Secretary when he had a second coronary in 1952. He was a staunch traditionalist and was to be a long-serving member of the Committee, serving for six years as Secretary and then nineteen years as Vice-President and Chairman, overseeing a difficult period in STISA’s history when representational art was completely out of favour. He worked initially from Downunder Studio on Porthmeor Road, the studio given by Helen Knapping to the RBA, then, between 1953 and 1971, from Dragon Studio, Norway Square, before moving finally, in 1972, to Rose Lodge Studio on the harbour beach. He was also elected to full membership of the Royal Society of Marine Artists. Examples of his work are held in the permanent collection of the National Maritime Museum Cornwall and the National Maritime Museum. This painting bears the label of a Penzance Gallery and is in its original framing.
Frame 54cm x 64cm Image 41cm x 51cm
G12/4893

G12